RIR chicks hatched 11-14 & 11-22-2013

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cray4en, Nov 27, 2013.

1. cray4en

cray4en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    I had to hatch since my 2 roosters (and a few hens) went to heaven. So, I just wanted to post pictures of how my new baby chicks are doing. I just finished cleaning out their tub and took these two pictures. There are 22 babies in all. 15 from 11-14 and 7 from 11-22-2013. I was surprised more didn't hatch from the 2nd batch but happy/thankful I had as many as I did hatch.

I did put them together even though they are a week apart. The older chicks don't bother the younger. It is cute to watch them. The little ones try to crawl under the older ones to stay snuggle warm and sleep. [​IMG] They are all Rhode Island Red chicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    they are very cute. they dont look like rir to me? are you going for eggs?

3. cray4en

Jul 24, 2008
    I only have RIR chickens. I got my chickens (as chicks) from Cackle hatchery. They are in a fenced in area and no one in my area has chickens but me. So, no loving and no chance of mixed breeds. I did hatch the eggs I had collected the previous week and the week after my chickens were killed to get these cuties. I have two incubators.

I eat the eggs they lay. I don't care to eat them. I would if my kids or I was hungry but eggs is all I am interested in. I try to sell the extra in the "Homesteaders Swap Meet" that we have in our area. I works well for me.

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thats great !! nothing compares to fresh eggs. i just see barring or black and white spots but my eyes are not as good as they could be

5. cray4en

Jul 24, 2008
    I went outside just now and took pictures of my hens and eggs I have collected from the last few days. Yes, the 2 blackish eggs are Cayuga duck eggs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  6. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Congrats on your hatch :)

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    oooh, ive never seen black eggs before! do you think maybe you or i have the production reds? i know that they dont hatch true. are your red with black on wing tips? the babies i hatched look nothing like their mama. i bought mine at tractor supply or orshlens

8. cray4en

Jul 24, 2008
    You made me wonder about my chicks so I looked at the chicken pictures under breeds and mine look just like the fresh hatched and juveniles pictures posted. There is a single picture of a juvenile that looks like they picked up one of mine and took a picture of it. post a picture of your chickens and maybe we can compare.

9. cray4en

Jul 24, 2008
  10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i dont have a camera, i asked santa.lol so its mine. they dont look like the parents at all! red, black and buff showing through. and their older than yours [​IMG] i guess it all comes out in the wash.lol thanks for looking though. and congrats on the hatch. i probable wont set anymore of mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by