RIR chicks keep picking on Golden...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by faem, Mar 16, 2012.

1. faem

faem New Egg

Mar 15, 2012
    I've been wanting chicks for a long time, and finally got some almost a week ago.
    Two of them are Rhode Island reds, and one is a Golden sex-link - I would have liked more but local ordinances only allow up to 3 with my acreage. They're nearly 3 weeks old; the reds are smaller than the golden (almost 1/3 smaller actually!) , but they keep ganging up on her, 2 against 1. The golden's got a small bald patch on one of her wings now, and I spot those two rascals pecking at her at least once a day in the past week. They've been hatched and raised together on the farm they came from, so I'm pretty sure that it's not a "new hen in the flock" problem- is there a way to stop them from pecking at her so persistently? Or is this tolerable behavior? Perhaps I'm worrying too much, but I'd like them all to be happy one way or another.

I have speculations they're just bored and full of energy- it's been raining on and off for the past week, I've only really been able to let them out in the green and barn for a limited amount of time. Is there a possibility they'll let up once I can take them out more? (sorry, I know it's quite a vague question ...)

Any advice is appreciated, this newbie would be ever so grateful!

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

I never worry unless there is blood. There will always be a pecking order, thus the term. As pets, just make sure she has a safe place to go to to get away from them, perhaps her own box, platform, whatever.

3. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Are you using a red heat-lamp? It cuts down on a let of chick bullying problems. Mostly it doesn't stimulate them as much as a white light does, and it allows them to have that night time "down time." The white light can have the effect of creating a 24 hour day. Does that make sense?

4. jesirose

jesirose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    McKinney, TX
    My 2 RIRs seem to pick on my other 3 - they're all about 2-3 weeks old and we use a red lamp. They are also very skittish when I put my hand in the brooder, the other 3 have no problem being picked up and the RIR run away and peep like crazy. They are from different stores/breeders so I don't know if that impacted it. I don't have any advice just sharing that mine seem to be the same!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by