1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR chicks...what do they look like?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gindee77, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Could someone please post photos of their 2-3 day old RIR chicks? I just got two and one is supposed to be a boy and one a girl. They are marked totally different. The girl is copper colored with some yellow on it's underside....the boy is a red chipmunk. I got them from the farm store and the pullets were supposed to be marked with green marker. The males were either marked with blue or not marked at all. I got there right after the store opened and some guy was right ahead of me and bought all the female RIR chicks and most of the other females!!! I was so disappointed because I wanted a couple female RIR's. I found one with a green mark that he missed! [​IMG] The girls that worked there seem to know NOTHING about chicks or breeds. I had to buy 6 minimum, so I got 4 EE's (3 supposed to be female and one male) and 1 RIR pullet and 1 roo that will get a new home when I'm sure it's a roo.

Pictures please?

2. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    This is one of my RIR chicks Pinoccio at 4 days...

[​IMG]

and this is Robinhood at 2 days..

[​IMG]

but mine are straight run bantams.. so I'm not sure my pics will be of any help.
    Pinoccio is 5 weeks now, and does not seem to be developing much of a comb.. maybe that's a good sign!

3. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

They can have slightly different markings.

4. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Here's a pic of our chicks with 5 RIR in the bunch. There are four of them in a diagonal, starting with the two grouped at the bottom left-hand corner and running in a row up to the top right-hand corner. They are quite a bit darker that the previous posters chicks. I also have noticed that most of our RIR have a very dark red/rust spot on the tip of their beak - almost looks like blood. These are all supposed to be hens. Hope it helps!

Trying this again!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  5. kodiakchicken

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Okay, screwed that up. Will have to read how to post photos. You can go to that link tho, as see them.

6. kodiakchicken

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Darn-it! Can't get the picture to load in. Sorry. [​IMG]

7. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Here's one of my lil RIR roo's last night before he partied all night w/his bro and the Buffy O girls;)

8. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Thanks everyone!! [​IMG]

That helps a lot. I think maybe the ones I got are RIR's. [​IMG]

I posted some pix of mine on the breed and gender section of the forum. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

P.S. You all have such cute babies!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by