RIR chicks with strips on their backs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by grullablue, Feb 9, 2009.

1. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    We have chicks today...and just wondering....is it common for RIR chicks to have two stripes going down their backs? It was a mixed batch of breeds.... but thinking we had the rirs picked out. Some do, some do not.

Angie

2. grullablue

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Here's a pic
    [​IMG]
    And more!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    Hi! I haven't seen RIR's w/ stripes like that. Our Red Stars looked like that, although they were a more buff color that yours. So that's a possibility at least! If you google Red Star Chicks and then click the images link, there is one good close up of a brooder full of Red Stars, I think it's like the last pic in the row on the right. Hope that helps!

Tamara

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    i can't help you but im hoping you can help me, what's that green stuff they're eating? A suppliment? If so what kind? thanks!

5. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Quote:Yes, it is a supplement. It's called Grogel Plus B Hatching Supplement, and it's sold online at the bigger hatcheries. I'm sure it's available elsewhere as well, but I haven't seen any where I live. It has lots of good stuff like proteins and vitamins. [​IMG]

6. birdbrain2

birdbrain2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    i had a couple with, a couple without, from ideal.

7. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nah, RIRs are about the only ones I can identify as babies because they're the little red ones. Looks like you got a nice little variety there!

8. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Yes, it is a supplement. It's called Grogel Plus B Hatching Supplement, and it's sold online at the bigger hatcheries. I'm sure it's available elsewhere as well, but I haven't seen any where I live. It has lots of good stuff like proteins and vitamins. [​IMG]

ah ha thank you! I'll have to look it up! [​IMG]

9. grullablue

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks for the input, and I did look at the pics on the google images. There was a red star in the batch too...and it was buff colored, no stripes! I went in with a few other people, so just hoping we got the right chicks! I hadn't seen any pics of RIR with stripes before....hoping they are RIR's! I just have those and black aussies. They are very active, eating and drinking, and extra cute.

Yep, that green stuff is the gro gel. I saw some people say their chicks turned their beaks up at it, but mine DEVOURED it! They loved it! It's all gone.

My "brooder" is working well, and the heat lamp is holding the heat at a constant temp, I'm happy. They spread all over the place, not huddling under the lamp, so I know they're comfortable. Only time they get loud is when I open the top to disturb them!

I was just puzzled by those stripes!
    Angie

10. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

My babies LOVE gro-gel!! It really does seem to get them off to a better start but last year when I used the gro-gel for the first time I had also had my first cases of pasty butt so I'm going to be very careful this year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by