RIR chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wjallen05, Jan 26, 2009.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    At what age can you tell a male from a female RIR? I got 8 extras with my 1/7 Ideal order that were "male RIRs" but some have dark red combs and some have very light combs... do they just mature at different rates or did I maybe get straight run?

2. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    When all are together, the males will have the bigger combs and wattles. The tails will have more black on them, as far as length of the feather.

3. riley

riley Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Mooers, NY
    i to got an order from 1/7 i ordered 12 pullets & 1 roo the roo came marked on his head and he seams to be maturing alot slower than the pullets

4. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    what kind of mark? One of my RIRs had a dark spot on the top of it's head, I thought it was very strange. I don't see the spot anymore, but now only one looks like a male.

5. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Our experience with most brown egg breeds is that the roosters get tails last (within 6 weeks of hatch).RIR fall in this category. Australorpes are an exception.

6. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    The mark that Ideal put on the tops of my packing peanuts head's was a purple like color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by