RIR chicks?

Everett500

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
i got to wandering over the pass couple days how many chicks per year i could get with 5 RIR hens(hens being at there peak production off eggs) and 1 RIR rooster. This would be with lighting during the winter, and i would put fertilized eggs in an incubator during the cold months... Any ideas on an approximate number?

They can lay approx 300 egg a year each so around 1500
th.gif

One thing I would is make sure you don't get production Reds. I'm going to get some also but I'll be certain they're Heratige RIR. I do not like the temperment of the PRIR at all.

No, by Production Red they mean hatchery-bred Rhode Island Red.

As for the 300 eggs a year comment, actually, they only goes for the first to second year, beyond that the rate drops quite a bit.
wink.png

Quote:
Oh we don't have hatcheries over here so didn't know its a good job as Id be bankrupt by now lol.
The 300 was in response to this bit (hens being at there peak production off eggs) of the question
smile.png

what would be the fertility rate on each egg be? out of the 300 would only 30 be fertilized or would they all be fertilized

I did a chart for my RIRs and Isa Browns. I averaged around 260 eggs per year or 5 eggs per week with my RIRs and 310 a year or about 6 eggs per week per bird with my Isa Browns. Isa Browns don't breed true. My RIRs are heritage and are a nice dark mahogany color.

Back
Top Bottom