RIR comb growing fast! Roo?

EricaCAL

Chirping
Jun 21, 2017
Hello all! So one of my babies, my RIR "Cherry", seems to have a faster growing comb. Its not red but its more pronounced than my other 5 chicks. Is this a sure sign of a Roo? This is my daughters favorite chick so I am REALLY hoping its a hen! Is there any way to sex at around 3 weeks old? She/he also does not have any sign of tail feathers. All the other 5 have tail feathers but the RIR just has a round rump still!! Its very puzzling. I cannot bear the thought of parting with any of my babies!!!! Thanks!!!

It would be helpful to take a photo or two(turn off the heat lamp if using one, it distorts photos) and post....we need to see what you are seeing. No, comb size alone is not a sure sign of gender...especially with different breeds of chicks in the brooder as not all breeds have the same type of comb -so a single comb, like a rir, will seem alarmingly large compared to the rose comb of a Wyandotte or pea comb of a Brahma

Yup, sorry! Here are a few pics of her comb and her rump. :) Any ideas? Her comb is the most grown in of all 6. She is my only RIR so I have nothing to compare to. Thanks!!
IMG_9596.JPG
IMG_9597.JPG
IMG_9598.JPG
IMG_9599.JPG

Hi all! Ugh, not what I wanted to hear!!!! I'm a little surprised cause we went with a hatchery that claims 95% success rate for female sex determination. This is exactly the type of situation I wanted to avoid. I have not idea how we will rehome if it is a cockerel cause I don't want my baby chick killed!! I will try to be more patient and hope that I dont have to deal with that.

For the sake of worst case scenario, anyone know a rooster sanctuary or no kill shelter for roosters in the Southern California region?

Back
Top Bottom