Rir day 12 candling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ash123, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Ash123

Ash123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    It's day 15 and since day 12 of incubation a few of my rir eggs look completely dark and filled. Normally I wouldn't think much about it but in the rest of the eggs I can see movement and veining. Are these quitters? I don't want to throw out an egg and find out the chick was perfectly healthy inside. This is my first time to incubate chicks so I don't have a clue.

2. cochins1088

cochins1088 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Smell the eggs, completely dark eggs like that have a posiblility of being rotten. If an awful odor comes from them, then take them out quickly. If they don't smell, then I would place them to the side of the incubator just a bit away from the others, they very well could be good developing embryos. Just watch them, but I definately don't give up hope, they can sometiems trick you, especially depending on how dark the egg shells are.

3. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Thank you for your response. I do have it set aside. It doesn't smell so I guess I will wait until day 18 and make a decision.

4. cochins1088

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    Even on day 18, if it's completely dark and doesn't smell, then leave it in. Good Luck! [​IMG]

5. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Gotcha thanks for your help[​IMG]

6. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    I figured it out! The chick is alive but is growing on the opposite side of the egg than the others. I have 3 like this. Will they still hatch successfully?

7. cochins1088

Jul 17, 2012
    Southern Minnesota
    hmm... It really depends, some will be able, others will not. If these are important eggs, you may want to consider assisting the hatch 24 hours after the external pip. There are a few good threads, and I have done it many times with success. I have had some growing at the small end of the egg (which is what I assume you are taling about) that have hatched, while others have died because being at the small end of the egg, they have no access to the air sac. Another positive thought is that is it posible for them to move around and get into postion for the hatch, but not always likely.

8. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ok pip means I will hear a chirp? Haha don't laught I'm so new. This is my first time and I def wouldn't say these eggs are important but I am giving them to a friend for egg laying so it would be nice to have them hatch. I'm also a little attached. Oh and yes they are at the small end of the egg. It's weird...there is only 12 eggs in the incubator and 3 of them are like this.

9. Ash123

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ok I googled pip

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Don't worry, I didn't understand all these terms either when I joined. Pip basically means the chick making a small hole in the shell from which it'll progress to "zip" which means slowly working it's way round the shell, breaking pieces and breaking the shell into 2 pieces (or more if it's a messy chick) so it can get out. If you do need to help them hatch this thread will give you detailed instructions:

If intervention is necessary as a last resort

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by