RIR??? & Delaware? Help please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by caseyleah, Jul 11, 2010.

1. caseyleah

caseyleah Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    Hi all, I've posted pics of these 2 a few weeks back but they've grown SO much since then and I would love y'alls input on what breeds these are! I'm more than certain "Red" is a female and I'm 100% that "Rex" is a roo!!! But what breed are they?

Here is both of them together:

[​IMG]

Here is Red:

[​IMG]

Here is Rex:

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance guys!!! [​IMG]

2. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I'd say New Hampshire Red pullet and Delaware cockerel. But it could be Rhode Island instead of New Hampshire; I'm not 100% accurate at telling one Red from another.

3. caseyleah

Jun 4, 2010
    Thanks! Any more opinions? [​IMG]

4. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Not sure on the red one, but the roo looks like a Delaware (I have them)....but, does he have pink legs? Dels legs should be yellow

5. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    Red Sex Link Pullet and Light Sussex Rooster, because he has pink legs. Delewares have yellow.

6. caseyleah

Jun 4, 2010
    Yeah the pictures don't show it very well, but the rooster has pink legs, they are HUGE! [​IMG]

7. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Quote:Can you get a good pix of the cockerel's tail? He is not carrying the Columbian pattern like he should if he is Light Sussex. A Delaware will have a tail that is barred, a light sussex or other Columbian patterned bird will have solid black tail feathers (or should)

8. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    i think rex would be a male sex link [​IMG]

9. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    rex is a male and he looks like a delaware the red one looks like a rhode island red or a red star

10. caseyleah

Jun 4, 2010
    Yard full o' rocks :

Quote:Can you get a good pix of the cockerel's tail? He is not carrying the Columbian pattern like he should if he is Light Sussex. A Delaware will have a tail that is barred, a light sussex or other Columbian patterned bird will have solid black tail feathers (or should)

The roo doesn't really have a tail, its JUST coming in so its the little whispy feathers. The girl is just now getting her tail too. We bought them from someone in town that had a lot of chickens and they didn't look like they were taking very good care of them. They were about 4 weeks when we bought them and they were even missing a lot of feathers on their wings! They are both still skittish around me even though I'm out there everyday taking care of them. My 3 leghorn girls are 9 weeks and they love jumping onto my lap and shoulders.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by