RIR disposition?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mdulik, May 13, 2010.

1. mdulik

mdulik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    I have 2 seven week old RIR's. I've had both of these chicks since they were a week old. To this day, neither one like to be handled. All of my other chicks will let me handle them, pet them, and sit on my lap. Not these two. I believe they are both Roo's because of the red combs and waddles. With the first one, I can usually pick it up and hold it for a minute, but it starts screaming bloody murder until I put it down. The 2nd one acts the same way, but this one had bit me twice now. I was a little surprised the first time, but the 2nd time he got me, I wasnt even reaching in for him. I was reaching in for another chick. Is this normal behavior for RIR's? If so, Im to the point Im ready to get rid of these two already. I have a total of 85 birds and these two are the only ones that I have any kind of trouble with. I have tried to win them over with treats, and affection, but as of now... Its a NO GO!!!!.... I read alot of posts where people just love there RIR's, so I dont get it. Can somebody please give me a sence of direction here... He's not very big, but if he bites me again, he might find himself invited to lunch in the form of a chicken salad sandwich...

2. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

None of my chicks are aggressive towards me, but I do have quite a few that do not like to be handled at all. About 6 or 7 out of 27 like to be handled, the rest don't.

I'd say that these two cockerels will defend their hens when they reach adulthood, you may be thankful that they show some aggression in that case.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello, I have one RIR hen, she was a year old April 1st. She's very smart and friendly, but she's boss lady of her group, which consists of three EEs. She was very friendly as a chick. I love her. I think maybe it could be the breeding? You know, depends on where you got them. Everybody says how silkies are so sweet, but I had three and they were so skittish and unfriendly....I didn't care for them and gave them away. Don't know why.

I really do think it depends on who or where you get your chickens from.....

4. mdulik

mdulik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    These two came from TSC.
    I dont mind having a little aggression, but I dont want to be leary of getting bit either.

5. Why and Dotte

Why and Dotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Little Rock,Arkansas
    I have 2 rhodies and both are very timid, I think it all has to do with the bird imo.

6. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I have 2 RIR that are definitely a bit on the skittish side. Hard to handle whereas the Golden Comets are all sweeties and love to be with us (and our treats). The 10 GC most all just up in our laps at times for pets when out sitting with them. The RIR never do.

7. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Bites are merely uncomfortable, it's those feet that can do damage.

8. daniduck

daniduck silent stalker

Nov 1, 2009
    Florida
    My Coop
    Out of all of our chickens the RIR are by far the most agressive. Our RIR hens are more agressive than the barred rock roos. We just rehomed a RIR roo. He was difficult to handle, and puffed way up at me several times, but actually took off across the yard to jump/spur at our son. After twice of that he was either going to find a new home or be dinner. The hens aren't near as bad, but they don't like to be handled and are more inclined to bite. I won't have any more of that breed, especially not so long as we have children at home.

9. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I'm very new to chickens...four weeks ,but have 12 rir's and they are all friendly so far.Of course my husband says I'm obsessed with them and spoil them with attention but none peck me or act aggressive at all.They all seem to get along together well.I have noticed the pecking order started but so far no one has been injured in any way.I hope they stay this way...some of these posts scare me![​IMG]

10. schmism

schmism Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    Peoria IL
    all of our RIR have been a bit stand offish. Never the ones to be the first to come up to us, but certainly never ugly toward us either.

What they lack in friendliness they more than make up for in a great range chicken. One our best ranging chickens and extremely reliable egg layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by