RIR doesn't feel well and her feet have turned very red

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Debbie Robinson, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Debbie Robinson

Debbie Robinson Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2012
    I noticed that one of my hens that I bought in April as a chick, has been moping around the chicken yard and just standing still. I looked at her feet and they are a red/orange color. Entirely different from all my other chickens(20). I know she doesn't feel well, but I don't know what it would be. I have heard of egg bound, but I don't know for sure if this is the problem or not. I don't know how to check out a hen and guess what might be her problem. The feet is what amazes me. Defiantly not the normal color. Any ideas?

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Do you have any pictures??? It could just be from the cold.

3. Debbie Robinson

Oct 27, 2012
    I just went out and caught her, and her craw is all liquidy feeling. Does that mean that it's empty and she isn't eating?

4. Debbie Robinson

Oct 27, 2012
    No, I don't have any pics, but yesterday I noticed that she seems to be feeling better. There is something very different about her though.....her craw looks like a goiter hanging from her neck. It's like a cow with an utter. It swings as she walks. Any ideas on that one?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by