RIR --- Doug or Donna?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DougandPeggySue, Aug 18, 2011.

1. DougandPeggySue

DougandPeggySue New Egg

Aug 18, 2011
    Hi All!

On April 7th, I got 2 RIR chicks. They were approx. 2 weeks old. I was told they had been sexed and were both females. As they started to grow, I noticed that "Doug" was developing a lot slower than Peggy Sue. I had read online that this was an indication of a Roo. Well they are now a little over 4 months old, and I still can't tell! Peggy Sue has started laying (just started 2 days ago!!!) and has given us 2 eggs so far. "Doug" on the other hand has produced none but still hasn't crowed. His crown and wattles are much smaller than Peggy Sue's and he is also VERY aggressive. In the photos "Doug" in in the back. Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!!!

2. both looks like pullets to me. just like humans, chickens will mature at different times, some breeds faster than another, but even chickens of the same breeds can mature at slightly different rates.

congrats on the eggs [​IMG]

3. Kirtusjon

Kirtusjon Chillin' With My Peeps

2 hens

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    It's Donna. If it were a cockerel then you would definitely have been told by him a long time ago. [​IMG] And I've heard that RIR can be aggresive -- even the females. Not, you know, really bad, but just perhaps unnecessarily .. "rude." [​IMG]

5. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Definitely a Donna. [​IMG]

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Hens.

Chris

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    A Donna....they are mature a bit differently, I would be watching for eggs, anytime!

8. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    doug no more. there both hens

9. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    look like my RIR girlies! Congrats on the eggs. I am waiting patiently for my first ones. Should be a few more weeks.

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Congrats! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by