RIR egg with spots???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by craftymama86, Oct 27, 2011.

1. craftymama86

craftymama86 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure what to say about this, lol. I thought this red hen we have is a RIR but then we got this egg from her and I know she laid it b/c she's the only one who goes in the next box I found this in. Is there something wrong with her to make it look this way or is she not a RIR or maybe something she ate???

Sorry the pics are a lil fuzzy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Looks like a good egg to me [​IMG] We have two RIR mixes, one of them lays light brown eggs with white spots, and the other one lays reddish purple eggs. You'd never know our girls were mixes just to look at them. I like the green egg in your pictures [​IMG]

3. craftymama86

Ok I feel better now, haha. And I should know from experience that just b/c a chicken LOOKS like a certain breed doesn't mean they're full blooded of that breed. (A roo from our RIR rooster and BR hen looked EXACTLY like the BR)

I was pleasantly surprised to see that green egg. I knew our new hens would put out eventually but the day after we brought them home, there it was, lol. I just figured out too that she's an EE rather than an Ameraucana. I don't mind though, it's cool having a variety of hens and eggs. [​IMG]

4. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I have 2 RIR (not sure if they're mixed or not) & one lays a brown egg & one lays an egg that's brown but sometimes has a hint of rosy/mauve color and many times hers has those same kind of spots/speckles. Not sure if it's normal or not and it doesn't always have the spots (and sometimes there's just a few spots). Now you got me wondering. [​IMG]

5. craftymama86

Quote:Lol, now we can wonder together. [​IMG]

6. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Get ones like that everyday. A couple days ago I got one with more freckles than a red-headed child. No offense red headed peeps, just remembering my longest friend when we were kids he had a ton of them. 40 years later his hair isnt quite as red nor has as many freckles.[​IMG]

What I am noticing is the little tiny lines in the shell that look like scratches. I got a RIR that lays one just like it,shes a scrawny little brazen girl who gives me whopper eggs. Not sure what causes those lines but always lets me know who laid it.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  7. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    My RIR's eggs look just like that. I believe brown spots are extra protien and white spots are extra calcium.

8. tornado8070

tornado8070 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Ruth, MI
    Quote:X 2. Mine look the same as well.

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Clogged inkjet that day. Happens all the time with my printer cartridge too. [​IMG]

10. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    [​IMG] I love it when that happens though! They are so pretty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by