RIR egglaying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shangri-lafarms, Apr 26, 2009.

1. shangri-lafarms

shangri-lafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    At what age did your RIR's start laying. I have one that still isn't she's 26 weeks

2. eggxentric

eggxentric Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    Boulder Creek, CA
    My RIR started laying eggs at 24 weeks. Have you made sure that she has vitamins A,D,E and calcium? There are a number of supplemental powders that can be added to their water. Obviously, you are feeding her laying pellets or crumble? This is a much different mix than regular chick crumbles (which lack calcium....as Ca is toxic to chicks before about 8 weeks).
    Good luck!

3. lostsoulhelpmejebus

lostsoulhelpmejebus Incubating Fool

Sep 23, 2008
    Roanoke, Illinois
    Mine started laying right at 6 months...and I agree diet and nutrition can made a big difference in when they start laying.

4. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

My 2 waited until 28 and 30 weeks [​IMG]

5. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Mine started laying at 5 months..

6. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i dont remember exactly but I know it was late, maybe 28-30. I had 2 EE's laying first.

7. shangri-lafarms

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    well thanks for the support, I do feed her layer pellets , oyster shell, and of course scratch and often fresh fruits before they spoil. I give her hot cooked rice and yogurt for treats. My other hens are laying fine so I was just wondering what the deal was with the non-layer. I guess time will tell, she squats down if you pet her, and goes into the nest boxes but never lays any eggs [​IMG]

8. sueg6255

sueg6255 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    LaGrange County
    About 6 months here. Food is a big factor too. I have changed to a different food and I am getting about 100% lay everyday.

9. shangri-lafarms

Apr 24, 2008
    NY-Upstate Adirondacks
    Yeah I mean she is 43 weeks old, and I had her penned up all day and no eggs anywhere, trust me I went crazy trying to see if she was hiding them. Should I switch foods?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by