1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR-Emergency!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LillianMae, Aug 1, 2013.

1. LillianMae

LillianMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    So I found my missing chicken this morning. No injuries or anything, but on her breast she's got this huge (a little smaller then a baseball) sack, it seems fluid filled. She can't keep down water and she has runny greenish white poop. She closes her eyes a lot and she keeps on throwing up water whenever she drinks it. I thought she was dehydrated so I had her drink water. She dipped nearly her whole head in the water multiple times and then threw up water. What is this? How can I save my angel? HelP!

2. LillianMae

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    Please Help ASAP!!

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
  4. LillianMae

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    I tried the massage thing and she gagged and didn't throw up, though she seemed to swallow it. Is ther a special tecnnique?

5. LillianMae

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    Again please reply asap, she keeps on pooping the gross stuff. I can't get her to throw up. What do I do?!

6. K R 2709

K R 2709 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    BC, Canada
    Wish that I could help but I don't have any experience with sour crop. Hope that she is better soon

7. 13 chickens

13 chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    do you have a vet that will treat chickens nearby

8. LillianMae

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    the only vet we have isn't a farm vet and also they'll charge me like 100 bucks just for the visit. Not that I don't love my girl but i'm not spending 100 buck on her. She still hasn't thrown up

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If you have determined that she has sour crop and the massage is not working you could try monistat. Several on forum have used monistat for sour crop(candida/yeast)cut the three tablets that come with package into 1/3(end up with 9)give 1 cut tablet orally 2 times a day. All claim great success with this method.

10. LillianMae

Mar 15, 2013
    Oregon
    I don't know for sure that it is sour crop though, she doesn't smell stinky at all, nor does her breath. She smells like a chicken. But her crop has a ton of fluid in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by