RIR end of days

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tsagirl, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    I guess I am just posting this because I know my RIR is going to die, and I just love her so much and it really hurts. [​IMG]

She has had a upper respiratory infection for months on end now. She was looking OK before we entered her in the fair and now she can't even walk. When she does walk she trips and falls over. We have treated with everything I could think of and the vet could think of...she is now unable to stand at all.

She is my grand champion chicken and best in show that she was awarded...and now after all the excitement....we are sad.

Just wanted to get this off my chest and I hope that she finds a good spot over the rainbow bridge.

Thanks for just listening everyone. I just needed other chicken people to talk to.
    [​IMG]

2. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm so sorry. Maybe something extraordinary will happen and she'll pull through! But I'd always watch when sending a chicken to the fair [​IMG] I know a lot of the chickens at our county fair get sick because of some "less-then-savory" chicken farmers. But at least you'll be able to remember what a champ she was, if she does pass. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] And I'm glad I'm not the only one who just needs to "talk to chicken people" sometimes.

3. Afrochicken

Afrochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    Im so sorry about your RIR i hope she pulls through.. [​IMG] if she dosent remember the good times u had with her [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm so sorry you're going through such a difficult time. [​IMG] I may not know exactly how you feel, but I know how I've felt when something has happened to any of my chickens. I even felt horrible when a newly hatched chick drowned in the water reservoir in the incubator, and it was less than an hour old. Obviously the deterioration of a long-beloved hen is far, far worse.

I hope you find surcease of pain here in BYC, with all us chicken people, who DO understand!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Bless your heart. I wish you and your RIR the best.

6. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    Thank you everyone. She is my sweetheart and I am making sure she has the best as she is in her own cage with yummy food and water. She is mostly closing her eyes now. I love how sweet and wonderful everyone is on this site.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers and everything else.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sorry that you have to deal with this. It has been my experience that I can never permanently "cure" respiratory problems. I don't know if damage is caused that makes birds more prone to reinfection or what?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by