RIR eyes swollen shut, diagnosis please? (pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by highline, Aug 10, 2010.

1. highline

highline Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2010
    Myrtle, 'Sippi
    Anyone experienced this before? Yesterday I was able to press out the gook and open both eyes somewhat. Today only her right eye can open the left is too swollen. I've given her some aureomycin because it's all I had on hand at the time. I'm also spraying it with Colloidal Silver. Any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    Poor girl!

Bump for some help!

3. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Are there any marks on her, maybe from a bug or a peck? Does she have a runny nose or anything else? Maybe an allergic reaction to something she either ate or got into. Poor little girl!

4. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    I had a Derbyshire Redcap who developed symptoms that looked just like this hens. My pullet only had one eye infected. I could squeeze cheesy stuff out of the ballooned out area. From what I read, I began to think it might be a form of Newcastle disease. I believe (and am more than willing to be corrected) that it, like cocci and other chicken diseases, is all around and ends up effecting poultry that are under stress. It was up in the low hundreds for days and I even lost some hens to the heat. That is when I found this sick girl. In order to keep her from spreading it to other stressed birds, we opted to cull her. Even if we had treated her and she survived, she would be a carrier.

This is what she looked like:
    [​IMG]
    It isn't a great picture.

It was really hard to make the decision to cull her, because I have wanted DRC's for very long time and to lose even one was heartbreaking. So, far, no evidence of any other sick birds.

I am so sorry your hen has this.

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That could be so many things.....Newcastle comes to mind right away....it really looks like her sinuses are swollen shut too and she's breathing from her mouth. Whatever you do, get her isolated away from the rest of your flock.......I hate to suggest culling, but Patches is right on........

6. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    I have had two do this exact same thing, several weeks apart this spring. First, Duramycin or another "mycin" is a good start. I also used triple anitbiotic ointment ON and IN the eye 3-4 times a day foir 5-6 days. It cleared up in both cases and the girls are fine, thank you. It isn't pretty but it can be beaten. I neither culled not isolated, just treated. My two cents.

7. icemanchicken

icemanchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    i went through the same thing a few weeks ago, I lost several chickens to this b4 i started them on duramyacin. My problem was that i stopped the antibiotics too early now its returned in a few birds. Face palm! I was told by a local chicken guru that teaches seminars on how to raise and breed chickens that its a respiratory disease that fills the lungs with fluids and that since the eyes are connected to a chickens sinus they can also fill with puss and swell. Best of luck on getting your bird well. And as far as culling goes i culled the first 4 sick birds that a had and it made no difference in my case.

8. bossynbella

bossynbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    i have had a similar situation happen recently. Although I hope yours is something simple like an eye infection it looks a lot like what is happening to ours. You can read what has been going on with mine on the thread (Major Mortality rate what could be wrong with my flock? HELP PLEASE) in this area of the forum. Our birds also had a Sickly look to there feathers and some had trouble breathing gasping for breath. When you have time read through my thread and let me know if you think it could be the same thing or not. Also if you see any other similarities between the cases.
    Hope your hen gets better
    Melissa

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I'm not a person who likes to cull, by the way. Last fall, I nursed my favorite hen back to health by giving her duramayacin in her drinking water, and running a vicks vaporizer on her. I kept her in a cage in the basement storage area.

Just wanted to add that......please don't think I'm one of those cull-happy people......I am NOT! Glad to hear this may be cureable.

10. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    I had a hen who had that swollen eye, it was from a wildly misplaced peck at feeding time.
    I kept squeezing all the goop out everyday and it eventually got better and she is fine.
    I think its starts out as a small "owwie" from a peck, gets infected and swells like that.
    Mine looked exactly like yours . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by