RIR gender??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jeaucamom, Oct 13, 2007.

1. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    We were so sure both of these were hens as they developed the same combs, tails size etc. Then all of a sudden there tails seem to be totally different. I think they are about 8-10 weeks old (but even that is an estimate that someone might be able to give me a more definite answer on). I had read a post on here about losing tail feathers at 13-15 weeks and then looking like a hen again. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Suz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Can you post a side view of the whole birds? That way we can get a good look at their feathers and such.

I have RIRs. They all developed tails at the same time. One has a huge comb though, and the other one has very little (just started to grow). However, I do have some BRs who feathered out completely different, 2 were super slow, and 2 had tails before the other two. All appear to be pullets though at this point (22wks). LOL! No eggs yet, but no crowing either.

-Meghan

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I had what I thought was 4 partridge rock pullets. I went out one day and got a bit of a startle. I had 3 pullets and one cockeral. It was like overnight the tail feathers came in and the comb and wattles grew. And he is mean. MEAN, I tell ya. We separated him out last night with a few other cockerals to be culled. Too bad he is so mean though because he is really pretty. LOL

You RIR looks like my RIR girls.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  4. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2007
    SE Michigan
    They are pullets. The feathers you would be concerned with would be saddle feathers, and I don't see any developing yet on the one pictured.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    At that age their combs and wattles would be big and red.....those look like pullets to me too....

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree..they are girls.

Jody

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Look like pullets to me also.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not that you need my stamp of approval, but they look like pullets to me, too.

9. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    YEAHYEAHYEAHYEAHYEAHYEAH [​IMG]:woot:weee:yiipchick I am so relieved!!!! We have had such bad luck with roosters from the feed store! I was really going to cry if ANOTHER one was a rooster. Thanks all!

10. gardener

gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Willamette Valley
    I have four 18 day old RIR's and one of them has more noticable wattles than your much older chickens, I'm sure mine is a Roo. Darn it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by