RIR Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pikeman94, Aug 25, 2010.

1. pikeman94

pikeman94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Olathe, KS
    My Coop
    Hello everyone!

First time poster, first time chicken owner. We received these fine Reds from a friend a month ago. I built an ark and all has been well. Then, I started doing more research on the web about this breed and have found a lot of information. That is when I started to notice some things about my birds that made me curious. Namely, is my bigger bird a Nutmeg or a Nutmax? I had my veterinarian neighbor come over and look and she really couldn't tell. So I deffer to the countless experts on the forum. Here are the pics.

Here they are together. I am positive of the one on the right - Ginger, is a pullet. The mystery is the one on the left - Nutmeg or Nutmax. You can thank my wonderful little redhead for these names.
    [​IMG]

Here is a better image of Ginger.
    [​IMG]

And finally Nutmeg or Nutmax.
    [​IMG]

Finally, these birds are from an April hatch, not sure on the date as these were given to me. So I am guessing ~12 to ~13 weeks. I do know we are close to egg laying and/or crowing. So far no crowing or any roo habits for that matter. I have caught Nutmeg/Nutmax in the nesting box with the fake egg recently. Finally, the friend that gave these birds to me had an Americana pullet. The Americana was taking on roo traits and bossing these two around.

I will quit babbling for now and see what you all have to say.

Thanks in advance!

Pikeman

2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    The bird on the left has a pretty large comb but I think they are both pullets. I dont mean to be picky but you need to up grade that wire to hardware cloth or you could lose both of them before long. What you have on your coop now wont even slow most predators down.

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    IMO, I'm going to say you have a Ginger and Nutmax. The comb and Waffles are bigger on the one on the left.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That's a tough one, but I'm guessing it's a slow developing roo.

5. Lbrad7

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Do you guys not think that at that age (would have to be between 14 and 17 weeks) that a RIR or PRIR wouldn't have much darker and pointed hackle and saddle feathers along with the mostly black and curved tail feathers? Considering its age, I think it would more than likely be a faster maturing pullet than a slowly maturing roo.

I do admit that it has a little roo look to it with the larger comb and wattles but I have a dozen 19 week old PRIR pullets and they look just like the one on the left. Very curious about your thoughts....

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    In the first picture, it looks like there are saddle feathers coming in so I will guess it is a roo.

Lbrad, the need for hardware cloth depends on where you are. My coop and run are less predator-proof than the picture shown and I haven't lost any birds to predators with my setup. We have few predators in my area.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Your a Male & a female.

8. Lbrad7

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:IMO you have been very lucky with a coop and run with less protection than chickenwire. (I can't imagine what that would be) You may not have wild predators in your area but you still have to protect them from the domestic. A small dog can push or chew though chickenwire like its nothing. I have had weasles push through in the corners and they aren't much more than a big rat.

I have been raising chickens for over 35 years and it has always been my experience that it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your birds safety, especially when it's such an easy inexpensive fix.

9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:I'm leaning this way too. My roos are usually bigger at this point, but i have had the slow developer from time to time, who will fool you for a while. If Nut? were younger, i would say he was a roo for sure.

If i could see the feathers better, that would help.

10. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    I'm gonna go with slow maturing roo. In a couple ofthe pics he appears to have saddle feathers but it's hard to tell. Some better and more clear pics from the side that show the feathers would help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by