rir gender

jimgunn

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 19, 2012
This chick is just over 5 weeks old. It has really had me confused as to whether its a boy or a girl. It has a small comb that doesn't look too bright to me so that suggests girl, but the fact that it is taking so long to feather out makes me think its a boy. If any one could tell me their thoughts on what it is then that would be great. Thanks, Jamie

First, I have doubts about it being a Rhode Island Red. It may well be a mix of some kind. It is therefore possible that it doesn't have a single comb, as a true RIR would. This may be giving you sexing difficulties.
I'd suggest waiting until the bird is bit older. It's sex will become clearer with time.

Thank you. This one hatched from a batch of eggs ordered on the Internet that were said to be pure breed rir so I sincerely hope it's an rir :p

It does look like a girl to me. It is also strangely colorful for a RIR, is it from a specialty or heritage line or something?

I am not sure. It was not labelled as anything special but the pictures of the parent birds looked very dark. Much darker than most of the rir that I see on here.

I know that some RIR's feathers can get really dark so I wouldn't let that get in the way of your guess. I just searched for a lot of pictures online of RIR chicks and found some that look just like this.

As far as gender, the thing I was looking at was the size of the legs. I know it is still a little early but they look a little think to be a pullet.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Tom

Thank you Tom, that was worrying me, but the main thing that makes me think its a boy is how slow it is feathering out. Does this breed carry the slow feather gene in males?

Yes, it is quite early to tell the gender of your chick but, it does look like a pullet.I do agree though, it does not look like a pure RIR.

I really hope it is a pullet. I may be able to make room for it in the flock if it is a rooster but a pullet would be easier.

I'm with Fred's Hens, this isn't a RIR. And it doesn't matter that there are photos of "RIR chicks" on the internet that look just like this; I can find photos of "Ameraucana" hens all over the internet that look just like my EE hen, but that doesn't make her an Ameraucana. And it certainly isn't heritage; scroll past the first post on this thread to see a true heritage cockerel and pullet. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407294/the-heritage-rhode-island-red-site

The feather color is wrong, it has barring, and it has white tips on the feathers, and I don't think that's a true single comb. I would guess that this bird is a mix of a RIR with something else. It's unfortunately common for internet sellers to not be entirely truthful about their birds and/or not have good husbandry practices so that they know without a doubt the paternity of a given chick.

I think you may have to wait a few weeks on this one to get a better idea of the gender.

Back
Top Bottom