RIR hardly laying???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by butch, Nov 20, 2009.

1. butch

butch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2009
    Van Wert
    I have 45 RIR hens and I was getting about 35 eggs a day, but the last 5 weeks I am only getting 7-12 eggs a day, what should I do??? they are 19 months old. I feed them 16% layer feed. and always have water.

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    They might be slowing down for winter now. What state/country do you live in?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2009
  3. melody123

melody123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Oregon
    I have a $2 set of chicken lights in my chicken pen that I turn on a few hours morning and evening, it seems to help.

That said, my RIR's love to hide their eggs. The leghorns, aracauans, and barred rocks all put their eggs in the nesting box. The RIR's want to lay in the hay pile, under the goat feeders, or under a bush somewhere. Which sucks because I really want to hatch the RIR eggs.[​IMG]

Could your RIR's be laying someone else than where they are suppose to be?

There is also the possibility of some creature eating the eggs. (skunk, rat, mink, racoon, etc.)

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:It's going to slow down a bit this time of year, but given their age I'm wondering if they're molting as well. Are you seeing a lot of feather loss? If they are molting switching to a higher protien feed--flock raiser or gamebird will get them thru it faster.

5. butch

butch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2009
    Van Wert
    I live in Ohio, they arn't hiding there eggs and I know something isn't eating or taking the eggs. but some of the hens are losing there feathers. but do they just stop laying when there molting?

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, they do- you're experiencing a typical moult.

Light in the morning helps, and they need a lot of protein and oil when regrowing theier feathercoat- their bodies put the energy into the feathers and they quit paying until it is done. I use wild bird suet in the coop and give hig-protein treats during molts. i was lucky this year and had only a slow (partial) moult.

7. butch

butch Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2009
    Van Wert
    Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by