RIR has become aggressive.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nsmith83083, Mar 10, 2015.

1. nsmith83083

nsmith83083 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    My sweet RIR became aggressive about a week ago she just layed her first egg yesterday. Is this a normal behavior for a RIR to get this way before they lay?

She runs after my feet, and pecks at them.

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    She could be broody.But rir are aggressive.And are somewhat stupid.

3. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    My experiences with RIR have been quite positive. None of mine are aggressive, nor are they stupid. In fact, I find them to be quite the little problem solvers!

That being said....

Right before laying some of mine do seem to have a bit of a hormonal shift. Some exhibit anxiousness - pacing, screeching, and becoming very flighty. Others have become more inquisitive, attempting to peck at my fingers or buttons on my clothing when they have never shown an interest before.

I have often said to my hubby "That red bird is going to lay soon, she's acting nutty!" and sure enough, a day or two later, there is her first egg. Perhaps this is a breed characteristic [​IMG]

All of this behaviour settled down a week or so after laying their first eggs though, so I'd give her the benefit of the doubt and let her have a little time to adjust to being a 'big girl.' It is a big change to their life and like all teenagers guess the move into adulthood can be a bit of an upheaval.

- Krista

4. nsmith83083

nsmith83083 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    Thanks this helps ease my mind a little. We have always been hands on with our birds(I have an 11yr old boy and 9 year old girl, and raising these were actually their idea.) They have become some what afraid to get too close to her cause she runs at them. But I just pick her up and pet her neck anyway. Lol. Hopefully she will do the same thing yours did and settle back down.once she gets used to her new "lifestyle." :)

5. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Hopefully she settles for you eventually.

If it's any consolation I find that they mellow even more after their first round of broodiness. I was always told to get RIR's because they rarely go broody. What a joke! I've spent the entire Summer moving 6 broody RIR's in and out of the boody buster cage, lol.

- Krista

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by