RIR has naked neck and droopy comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chick Mama, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Chick Mama

Chick Mama New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    [​IMG]
    I have 11 hens and one bantam roo sharing two coops in an enclosure of about 70'x30'. They all get along and everyone is happy. The four RIR's are approximately 18 months old and I am aware that they will molt this fall. However, one of them, Reba, lost all her neck feathers about 3-4 months ago. And for quite some time prior to that, her neck feathers started looking odd. Now her comb is drooping as well. She behaves perfectly fine, and doesn't appear ill. She still lays daily.
    I regularly douse their coop, bathing spots and nesting boxes with DE to prevent mites/lice.

I just want to make sure that their isn't something horrifically wrong with her that will ultimately wipe out my little flock.

I would welcome everyone's comments and/or suggestions re: Reba's naked neck and droopy comb.

Thank you all very much!

2. eggmensgd

eggmensgd New Egg

Aug 2, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I am no expert in chickens but she may have a calcium deficiency or mites. If you dont supply them with grit, start doing that and see if that helps. If not, use a mite treatment. If all else fails, take her to a vet.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She looks like she is getting her feathers picked from another member of the flock. Watch her on the roost for a bit at night to see if her roost mate is the one doing it. Even though you are treating for lice and mites with DE, be sure and pick them up and look them over good. It is hard to get rid of mites if you have them, and DE doesn't work for some.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I don't think that her drooping comb is anything to worry about. Many hens (including mine), naturally have a droopy comb. It's just what they look like. As for the missing feathers on the neck, other chickens could be picking on her. See if any other birds peck her, and isolate the means ones for a couple weeks. When you put them back in with the rest of the flock, they will have to work their way up to the top again, so there won't be any more picking for a while.

Mites and lice are possibilities. Get some Sevin powder, and dust them thoroughly around the vent, under the tail coverts, beneath her remaining neck feathers, and under her wings. Diatamaceous Earth can work as a preventative measure, but it does not usually cure an infestation.

Hope I've helped!

5. Chick Mama

Chick Mama New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    thank you eggmensgd. I do give them grit and oyster shell. So I will proceed with the mite potential. I appreciate your reply.

6. Chick Mama

Chick Mama New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    Thank you, eggcessive. I really don't think anyone is picking on her. The 5 large chickens that share the one coop, have been together since they were chicks and all seem to get along fine. I hear no ruckus after they coop up at night. I will get more aggressive with my mite search. Thanks for your reply.

7. Chick Mama

Chick Mama New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    Thank you Wyandottes7. I didn't realize that the DE wasn't a cure, so I haven't been as concerned as maybe I should have been. Inasmuch as they are all together, would you suggest a good dusting on all the birds at this point? If it is mites, why is only one hen so affected? And 4 of the 5 hens in this particular coop are RIR, and only she has developed the droop to her previously strait comb. hmmmm.... one last question, for now, is the Sevin safe to use even on my younger chickens?

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would suggest dusting your birds. Even if they don't appear to have a huge infestation of mites, it will not harm your birds to be dusted. And yes, I think it is fine to use on your younger chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by