RIR hen all fluffed up, smelly yellow pooh and drinking a lot!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cindychlvr, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Cindychlvr

Cindychlvr Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    A few days ago I noticed my RIR hen. She is all fluffed in the feathers. Some poop was tuck to her bum. It was yellowish and VERY smelly. I found her standing in one of the nest boxes sleeping in the middle of the afternoon. Her vent was ok. It looked normal, not blocked or anything.

I isolated her. Gave her some water with apple cidar vinegar in case of yeast infection. I also gave her some feed crumbles with Epsom salt to halp as a laxative. She immediately started drinking and feeding.

She has been drinking alot!

It has been one day of treatment. She is still alive but no real change in her condition. She is about 1.5 years old. No sign of problems with her other 49 sisters and one brother.

My next move may be to deworm her.

I can post pics tomorrow if it will help. Kinda late and dark now.

Any thoughts out there?

2. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    wash her and apply NuStock to her vent area. ACV with the mother was very good to start, so continue with the good work. You can help her along by adding it to her crumbles and feeding it as fermented feed. You can read about Fermented Feed in the stickys.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I'd lay off on the Epsom salts. The sticky bottom could be a fungal/yeast infection. Google "vent gleet".

4. Cindychlvr

Jan 16, 2011
    I gave Epsom salt because a link about vent gleet suggested it. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond!! Any other input is appreciated.

http://www.ultimatefowl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vent_Gleet

5. Cindychlvr

Jan 16, 2011
    What is the mother in ACV. I will look into fermented feed. I had never heard of it. I have only been chicken keeping for about 2 years. This is the first problem of its kind I have had. Always learning!!

Thank You for your help. Any other input is helpful!!

6. nbenevento

nbenevento Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    From Southwestern, PA.
    How did this work out for you? I have one of my RIR's that has this right now. I have to figure out how to isolate her and deal with it. I am hoping you can shed some insight on how best to handle it. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by