RIR Hen Cant Jump

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wando, May 21, 2010.

1. wando

wando Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    This is the wobbly one but isnt wobbly anymore,But can't jump up into anything. She is still a bit slow but moving around better and ranges good. Her feathers are a bit dull in color but she is eating and drinking. HER wings are working fine, Can Chickens have SULFATRIM tabs foe antibiotics?Her manure is smelling better but still a bit runny but is solid too.WHY CAN"T SHE JUMP?

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    It sounds as though she has had issues in the past .. If she was sickly before she may just not have the strength to fly up .. You have to think those are some tiny wings for such big birds...

3. EastinChickens

EastinChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Michigan
    Check her wings. If there is any type of injury to her wing, even a little scratch, she will be off balance and won't be able to jump.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  4. wando

wando Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    Hi there, my hen died Monday nite, 24th. I found her in the morn. She hadnt even moved for 24 hours from one spot. She was getting so week and couldnt walk. I was feeding her yogurt and let her eat whatever as I was putting food in front of her and water. It had to be someything in her digestive When she relapsed this time she just got worse. Her wings were good and she just wassted away.I am not sure if it was sourcrop but I couldnt find anything in her crop or anywhere else. Maybe she swallowed something and was in there someplace. Thank you for your replies. I had some EUthanol and would have put her down the next day but she had died. Thanks again.

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Sorry for your loss... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by