1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR Hen Egg Bound ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farmlife4me, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Farmlife4me

Farmlife4me Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2009
    Old Town, Florida
    I am writing this post for my pastor and his wife .... they have a RIR Hen that has not laid a egg in about a wk. and she has almost lost all her back feathers( from a very rowdy roo ), she's breathing kinda heavy with her mouth open , and bottom is red and bumpy kinda and she is contracting like she wants to lay a egg ... they have put her by herself , she is well over 6mths. no other hens are acting like this . i went by there this afternoon and looked to see if she was egg bound , but nothing ..looks normal , just contracting like she was going to lay a egg. comb and face looks normal she is walk around normal ( actually got away from us getting her out of the pen ) if anybody could please help .. much and many thank yous !!

2. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  3. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
  4. Farmlife4me

Oct 27, 2009
    Old Town, Florida
    Thanks alot for the info..PandoraTaylor and AmyBella I will def tell them right away to try the warm bath and massage on her .... I will keep you updated on the RIR hen .. thanks again ...

5. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Yes please keep us updated.

6. Farmlife4me

Oct 27, 2009
    Old Town, Florida
    well I have so heartbreaking news .. my pastors RIR hen ha dto be put down today ..[​IMG] I went over and tried everything I have read and looked up myself , there was no egg .. she had lost alot of weight and her breathing was like somebody who has smoked for the last 55+ yrs. at least she is not in any pain .... Thank you for sharing the info with us ....

7. AmyBella

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    Oh, I am so sorry to hear that! That is always hard... [​IMG]

8. Farmlife4me

Oct 27, 2009
    Old Town, Florida
    yes it is ..even harder for me because I had TO DO IT !! [​IMG] ... my pastor was at work and his wife said she couldn't bare it and they thought she was just suffering....

9. AmyBella

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

I know just how you feel! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I had to put down one of my precious boys this summer and it was so awful. Was this your first time? They say it gets easier but I can't imagine how that is possible.

It was so kind of you to help out your pastor's family like that.

10. Farmlife4me

Oct 27, 2009
    Old Town, Florida
    thanks amybella.. no it wasnt my first time ( we have had meat chickens before) it was just hard cause it was one of their best egg layers and they need their chickens for eggs BUT it was hard because some of their boys were catching on that it was coming to the end of their chicken [​IMG] .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by