RIR hen has HUGE egg stuck inside of her

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carriagegirl23, Jan 19, 2014.

1. carriagegirl23

carriagegirl23 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    My RIR has an egg probably the size of a baseball or bigger stuck just under her vent. I don't have a clue how long she has been like this. She was given to me two days ago. She's still eating and drinking and pooping. I picked her up a little while ago and bout crapped myself. She has a extremely hard lump pretty much right under her vent (egg bound). I need to know what to do to help her! ;(

Ps. My fiancé went to check if he could feel the egg through her vent and he can't feel the actual eggshell. When he pulled his finger out it was bloody. I hope she can pass this egg! We lubricated her with ky jelly. Is there anything else I can do?! Tia for all responses!

2. Deepwoodchick

Deepwoodchick New Egg

Sep 30, 2013
    I just had the same thing happen to one of my ladies. I read the suggestions, but didn't want to immurse her in warm water, so I wet a cloth with hot water and applied that to her vent area. Then I held a heating pad over the cloth. I sat and read and held her for over an hour. Then I lubricated her duct area with olive oil, released her back to the coop, and checked her today. She was up and about, eating and drinking. This late afternoon she laid the egg. Don't know if this helps or not.

3. carriagegirl23

carriagegirl23 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    How big was the egg she laid? My fiancé is actually guessing the one in her is probably the size of a softball!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could be something other than egg bound, especially with the blood, post this in the Emergency Forum.
    Someone gave you a sick hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by