RiR hen is attacking/pecking my BCM

olilandy

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2020
Louisiana
We recently had a hen die in our coop. Since then I've noticed that our RiR is pecking and running after the BCM. The BCM is puffing out her feathers and then the RIR will go in on her. Are they just reestablishing the pecking order?

Possibly. Do they have room to get away.
they have a little under 60 square feet and I have 5.
coop.jpg

As long as no serious harm is being caused, and no blood is drawn then I wouldn’t worry. Just make sure she has plenty of space to run away and let them sort the new pecking order out themselves.
Thank you! Their coop is a little under 60 square feet for 5 of them and once we noticed we let them out to free range to distract them a bit. We didn't see any signs of harm. It was freighting watching the RiR run up on her and the BCM crouch for cover. We will be adding 2 sapphire olive eggers once they are old enough and will be removing the RiR. She's an old girl and isn't really producing anyway, the other chickens she currently with are about a year old. So I can see why she thinks she's the boss but I don't want her harming any.

Thank you! Their coop is a little under 60 square feet for 5 of them and once we noticed we let them out to free range to distract them a bit. We didn't see any signs of harm. It was freighting watching the RiR run up on her and the BCM crouch for cover. We will be adding 2 sapphire olive eggers once they are old enough and will be removing the RiR. She's an old girl and isn't really producing anyway, the other chickens she currently with are about a year old. So I can see why she thinks she's the boss but I don't want her harming any.
Yeah it’s really frustrating getting a mean chicken, I’ve had a few, chickens will always like to be dominant and aggressive towards those lower in the pecking order but sometimes you can simply just get a persistent mean hen. Tends to be the RIRs too.

Back
Top Bottom