RIR hen waits at dusk to be put to bed

country lady

Songster
11 Years
Nov 8, 2008
NW Tennessee
We have six pastured hens. Our RIR waits on the ramp almost every night at dusk for my husband to shine the light on the door and then on the roost so she can jump up. Sometimes when we are walking out, we can hear her squawking. She is the only one who lets us pet her. She follows us inside her pen and "talks" to us.

Sounds like a sweet lil hen
smile.png
Got any pics?

LOL... we call our RIR "The Night Owl." She waits a good 10 to 15 minutes until after all the other girls have turned-in before she starts heading toward the coop. By the time she gets around to going inside the sun is about down and we have to guide her in. It is the craziest thing!

That is so cute. However, if you want to help her out ( or if you're not home) you could put a light in the coop that is on a timer. Time it to go off after eveyone is on the roost for the night, OR maybe one of those motion sensor lights at the pop hole, so when she approaches she has light at her convience! The little princess.

welcome-byc.gif
I have RIR's I have a low watt Red light on in their coop 24/7. They all go into the coop before dark and pick out their places.
love.gif

RIR's have the cutest personalitie's. I have one that just started laying little eggs, she is the littliest pullet. After she lays she makes her BOK BORAK announcement and we go out to the hen house to get her egg. She then follows us into the kitchen and sneaks a piece of Buster's dog food out of his bowl and then goes back outside. She does this every day!

Yes, I do have a pic but I'm not too savvy with the computer yet so I have to ask my DH for help. Isn't it amazing how chickens have personalities? I tried to get different chicks because I like all breeds. I live in a farming area and the feed store sells 10,000 poultry in the spring. Our 4' x 4' chicken tractor would hold only four comfortably, I thought, but we decided on six. I accidently had seven in my hand so I looked up pitifully at DH and said, "which one do you want me to put back?" (I know, that was bad) Anyway, one had a paralyzed leg so it had to go.

Our BR goes on the roost first every night by a window. Every morning the chickens are still on the roost and one will see me coming to feed and let them out, and they start screeching. They are spoiled. I feed them a slice or two of bread soaked in buttermilk, sometimes bread soaked in olive oil--I read that some place--they expect a treat every morning. I didn't pet them as chicks because I didn't want to feel bad if I lost one. Our BR got out twice and both times showed up in the morning. We have woods on three sides and across the road. Lucky her!

Did I say we have 2 RIR, 2 Black Orps, 1 Buff Orp, 1 BR?

I am new here, but I've read the posts for a long time. I have really enjoyed reading all of your posts. BYC is a great site and everyone is so kind and helpful.

My splash Ameraucana, Snow, waits for my DH to pick her up in the morning when he lets them out, then in the afternoon when they go back inside. She waits at the gate, then when he comes in and says her name, she chatters in this tiny little girl voice and shifts from one foot to the other really fast. We call it the "Snow Shuffle", LOL. She cries and cries to be picked up if he doesn't pay attention to her right away.

Back
Top Bottom