RIR hen with squishy swollen belly and difficulty walking

026TB4U

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2020
South Florida
This past Sunday we noticed one of our Rhode Island Reds was not moving from her perch. She had a seriously poopy butt and a swollen squishy belly and green diarrhea.

Since then, I have been giving her daily warm Epson salt baths as well as loading her up on kefir and buttermilk (for probiotics). I also tried feeding her tums for calcium and she has apple cider vinegar in her water.

The baths and calcium was in case she was egg bound, the probiotics and ACV in case it was digestive. I also tried molasses to purge her stomach.

Over the past few days, she has had some explosive poop which was very watery and less green and some white in it. The white almost looks like scrambled egg whites.

I am trying to avoid the vet since my first ever RIR was put down there. I was really expecting the worse with this one but since it's been almost a week, I am starting to doubt she is egg bound. And I'm also hopeful she is passing whatever is in her system.

I would appreciate any thoughts of what this could be or recommended course of action.

Thanks.

Oh boy, water belly is a new one to me. She seems a bit better today and a little less swollen. I ordered some aregano oil and eyebright oil after some reading on the subject. Any recommendations on what to do?

Thanks.

Oh boy, water belly is a new one to me. She seems a bit better today and a little less swollen. I ordered some aregano oil and eyebright oil after some reading on the subject. Any recommendations on what to do?

Thanks.
It needs to be physically drained often, if it is water belly and not a reproduction problem, I don't believe there's a anything orally or topically that can be given to help her, I'm sorry.

Back
Top Bottom