1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR Hens Dying. HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lchorne, Oct 21, 2011.

1. lchorne

lchorne Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    Chatham County, NC
    My husband had two 3 yr old RIR hens that have died. He treated his flock for parasites when he noticed their combs becoming pale "pink". They lost weight and appetite. Other healthy hens are moulting butthe two that have died this past few weeks did not. Any ideas or recommendation as to what has caused their death in case others show signs?

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Was it internal, or external parasites?
    Did you see mites/ lice crawling on them, or intestinal, like worms?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Were they laying? They are of a breed and age that internal laying rears its ugly head.

4. lchorne

lchorne Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    Chatham County, NC
    My husband felt when he saw their combs turning a light pink from the norm of dark red that they may have internal parasites and treated all of them. No signs of egg bounding. Just lose of weight due to no appetite. Eggs have been slow but this is normal during the moult. Not sure age is a factor with these two hens but trying to make sure that there is nothing else we should be aware or any ideas for other treatment.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Egg binding is completely different than internal laying. If they are all three laying, even sporadically, they are not laying internally. That is a blessing, trust me.

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:So sorry for your losses! What did he use to treat for parasites? That may help to determine whether there is more to be done. What other symptoms, if any, have you seen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by