RIR???? I'm not really sure

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mdulik, Jul 3, 2011.

1. mdulik

mdulik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    I have a friend who gave me a rooster today, it looks like a RIR, has the green tail feathers, nice deep red color on the bird, but what is throwing me off is the comb. its a rose come and it hangs off to the side. I'm guessing the age of the bird is somewhere between 6 months and a year. He is smaller then my other 1 year old roosters, im guessing around 6 or 7 lbs. I was hoping someone could help me determine the breed if it truely a RIR or something else. Like I said its the comb that is giving me my doubts. sorry no pics yet, will get one as soon as I can.[​IMG]

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    RIRs can have rose combs so it's normal for yours to have one. [​IMG] On the breed index I'm pretty sure they have a page for rose comb RIRs.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Rhode Island Red come in Single and Rose Comb.

Rose Comb Red
    [​IMG]

Chris

4. mdulik

mdulik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Thank you so much, and thank you for showing the pic. I now have a new RIR roo... and the cool part is, I had to put him in with my other 3 roos and he (I named the new RIR, George) went into the coop tonight just like he had been there all along and he didnt try to fight with the other 3. Tonight when I went to close the door, all 4 of them were roosting together and looked at me like they were waiting for me to shut the door and leave so they could get some shut eye. [​IMG] by the way my other 3 are Diago a BO, Oliver another BO, and Manny a White Plymoth Rock. and now they have there new friend George..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by