RIR is honking???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by norlar, Apr 9, 2008.

1. norlar

norlar Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2008
    Hello all,
    I have noticed in the last week or so that Lucy, my RIR, makes a honking sound where as my other chicks peep. I have 2 RIR's and 2 Ameraucana's. All are 10 weeks old. No problems eating or drinking. Poop is normal. Her activity is normal. I'm still working on their coop so all my girls are inside the house with me (I'm going to be very sad when they go live in their coop). I do take them outside everyday for several hours and Lucy keeps up with the other three. I see no signs of illness...but she honks????
    I would say she sounds just like a goose.
    I'm a first time chicken mom and I don't know if I should be concerned. Do chicken vocalizations change as they grow older??
    I'd appreciate any information or advice.
    thanks

2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    When does she "honk"? Does she do it all the time or when she is eating? I have a pullet that makes the same noise when she eats to fast. I also have a hen that makes the same noise.

3. norlar

Feb 11, 2008
    She honks all the time. Well...she will make a peeping sound when she peeps softly. But the most part she wants to be heard and she honks!
    I think it's just strange but I hope she is alright. I can deal with the honking. It will make it easier to tell my two RIR's apart.
    thanks~

4. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I have a blind Buff Orpington that has always honked. I think it's part of her charm. [​IMG]

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Does she do it when she's backing up? [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Could also be her voice changing now. They sound pretty bad sometimes when they get their adult voices. "perrp honk peerrp"

7. norlar

Feb 11, 2008
    Ahhh... thanks everyone. I feel better about my honking Lucy. Excellent forum!!![​IMG]

8. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Are you sure she's a she?? What do baby roos sound like when they are starting to crow??

I have a Chihuahua that does the same thing when she's excited... [​IMG] But that doesn't help you any...sorry!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by