RIR is pale in face and legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by blitz1976, Jul 8, 2011.

1. blitz1976

blitz1976 New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    My hens are almost laying age...I was told they would lay in about a week from now. I have had them for 2 weeks. They have been acting normal, except today one of my RIR is walking slower, kinda awkward, hunched/puffed up, and her color seems to be lighter. She is not hanging out with the others as much and tends to stay in one spot longer. She is the larger of the 2 RIR that I have. She squatted once when I went up to her and petted her, and she let me pick her up which none of them are doing yet. I also show how she is puffed up. I pulled her tail feathers back to see if I could see anything odd, but I don't know what Im looking for. Is she sick or getting ready to lay? When I throw feed in, she goes crazy and runs up to me like the others do, so shes not hurt that I can tell. Thank you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. KansasKate

KansasKate Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Does she have a crossed beak?

3. blitz1976

blitz1976 New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    Well its crooked....does that mean its crossed?

4. KansasKate

KansasKate Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    I would look through this forum with the search function for "crossed beak." Those girls can have problems that affect eating and health long-term.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by