RIR laid

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by meowoui, Oct 16, 2015.

1. meowoui

meowoui Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2013
    Beaverton
    Our RIR laid just a yolk this morning, she has always laid the whole egg, she was quite when I let the hens out
    this morning, I know that after they lay their egg they stand still for a while than take off like they are on fire.
    She is usually the first one at the door fussing to get out, she laid the yolk in her nesting box she sleeps in at night
    her comb is standing up, I went looking for her and found her in a nesting box, I suppose now she will lay the shell.
    Has anyone had this problem before, we have had hens lay the egg that looks like it is rubber, not just the yolk.

Karen

Update: She sat in the box for six hours and finally gave up, I believe she was trying to lay the shell, when I was behind her
    she had a broken shell hanging from her egg shoot, I gently removed it from her the shell had white coming off of it. She
    ran around the rest of the day. Guess I will never know what happened.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Sounds like something went wrong in her egg system.

3. Chickenmanjim7

Chickenmanjim7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2015
    Aberdeen, Washington
    Had a buckeye do this a couple weeks ago. She got a little sick from it though. was off the lay for a few days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by