RIR laying double/triple yolked eggs daily

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ash123, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Ash123

Ash123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Hi everyone,

my rir has been laying for 5 months now. She lays everyday without missing but they are ALL double or triple yolked. I cant find anything on the internet that is similar to my situation. Is this dangerous for her? Poor thing needs an epidural.

2. Ash123

Ash123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    my profile pic shows one of her eggs. it wouldnt let me post a pic on the thread for some reason...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  3. samsr

samsr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Fountain, Colorado
    WOW, thats a big egg. I cant come up with an explanation for it though. I will bet someone on here will know something. Are you sure she is not part ostrich. Thats has to hurt. She must sing one loud egg song.

4. dirtylittlefly

dirtylittlefly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    Vancouver, WA
    I'm new to this also. I know when they first start and when they stop laying this can happen. It's kinda like women when we first get our periods, they tend to be irregular. Hens like people are only born with a finite number of eggs and when they're gone that's it. Knowing this, I would guess she may not lay as long as other chickens if this continues. As far as her health goes- I'm not sure about the likelihood of the egg breaking inside the larger it is, I would say make sure she gets plenty of calcium to avoid this. I would think after 5 months of laying those monsters you wouldn't have to worry about internal damage.

Again I 'm no expert- but that's what makes sense in my brain. :)

I'm curious about the fertility of a double yolker, could a chick hatch from one? Or if both yolks were fertile would there not be enough moisture and nutrients to allow a chick to come to term?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by