RIR Laying thin shelled eggs at night from roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kichohana, Jan 15, 2014.

1. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    I have an 18 month old RIR who has previously been a fantastic layer. Large hard shelled brown eggs, some double yolks.

Last August, she had bumblefoot, and I did "home surgery". 2 months later, it came back and we did home surgery again. It appears to have cleared up ( surgery was awful [​IMG] !!!)

Lately - last month or so, I've been finding an occasional thin shelled broken egg in on the poop board. About 4-5 so far. They break upon impact, falling about 6-8 inches into poop/sweet pdz that are under their roost.

The shells are very light/pale pinkish brown and appear to be torn upon impact.

I do not supplement extra light in the winter so the girls get a natural break from laying. I get an occasional large pinkish brown egg from my other 18 month old RIR, and an even rarer egg from my 4 year old Speckled Sussex.

I just have the 3 hens. They have otherwise been very healthy. They eat Purina Layena crumbles and free range about 3-4 hours a day supervised. They have grit and oyster shell available, and lately I've increased their calcium with plain yogurt and cottage cheese as a treat.

All poop looks normal - big greenish-grey lump. No worms. Molted last fall.

Read this thread...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-problem-thin-shells-or-no-shells-how-to-fix

Any suggestions on what the problem might be? I appreciate any advice!

Cecily

2. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    Help? Please?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by