RIR laying white eggs? (used to be brown)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shelleyd2008, Sep 5, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My dad's RIR are about 1 1/2 years old. When they were first laying, they layed very dark brown eggs (for a RIR). This past winter my dad decided to switch them from Purina Layena feed to a 16% calf grower feed that is mixed by our feed store (has soy meal, distillery grain, cracked corn, oats, etc). The birds are now full-time free rangers, when before they were never let out of their run. Their eggs got a little lighter, but they were also about a year old. I just figured they were at the end of their 'cycle', and the eggs would darken.

Not only have they not gotten darker, most of them are almost white now. What would cause this? Diet, illness?? I'm seriously at a loss.

2. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Some eggs do get lighter through the season/cycle.

My Marans eegs are lighter this year than last and my Welsummers eggs are lighter in late summer than they were in March.

I have a friend that raises some top of the line Dark RIR's and their eggs are light some almost white.

I am not sure about the feed issue.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't think this can still be atributed to their cycles. The eggs started lightening around January/February, and they are still light. Most of them are getting even more light.

4. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

i would blame that on feed to be honest , i changed my feed and they went from brown to white , then i changed back to the first food and the eggs went back to brown

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by