RIR Leg Color - Pink or Yellow?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by norwich, Apr 20, 2009.

1. norwich

norwich Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    I've been researching Rhode Island Reds and I have some questions for the experts. What is the standard leg color? And are the birds supposed to be solid mahogany or are they supposed to have some black feathers mixed in. Can anyone clarify?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    RIR's should have yellow legs.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yep, Lee's correct. There may be some black in the tail feathers, but not on the body. Trying to remember if my good quality ones have black in the wings at all, but I dont think so.
    [​IMG]

4. denimeggs

denimeggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    My understanding is that black (smut) in the body is a DQ.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    They should have black in their wings, tail & females should have some minor black ticking in their hackle. Smut in the under colour is a defect not a disqualification. However some smut may be useful in breeders-helps to maintain black in the wings.
    Leg colour should be yellow. A horn overlay is desirable.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I did look and mine do have black in the wings. Dont know why I couldn't remember that, but you can see it in the pic I posted. I never get tired of looking at their deep, rich color.

7. norwich

norwich Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    Thank you all very much. Cynthia, where did you purchase your RIRs? And do you vaccinate your flock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by