RIR,Leghorns,BR, and EE's

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BantyHugger, Jul 22, 2008.

1. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Will any of those go broody? I got a Rooster and I'm hoping for chicks in the spring. I also got D'uccle bantys cause i heard bantys go broody more often.

2. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    I think barred rock will be the most likely, although any breed can go broody. Least likely would be your leghorns.

3. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I figured the Leghorn wouldn't. I had a RIR try last spring but we didn't have a rooster or any fertile eggs. Do they try alot or is it once or never?

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Birds that are bred for egg laying should not go broody but that does not mean they will not go broody. I had a white leghorn that went broody quit often. As general rule, birds that are egg layers do not go broody other breeds are known for going broody. I had a rhode island red go broody. I thought a fox had snatched her but she showed up with 13 baby chicks one day. I have a appenzeller that does for a short period every year then breaks. I have an easter egger that went broody one time in 4 years. She was a great mother- very aggressive.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by