RIR lethargic, laying bad eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Husker Chick, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Husker Chick

Husker Chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    My RIR (my favorite hen) is one year old and has been laying soft shelled eggs for several days off and on, and just now I got the one pictured when I lifted her off the nest, which she wouldn't leave to go to roost. I have had one egg with calcium deposits on it every day for a week, and wasn't sure whose it was. Not sure if this is from same hen, but now I fear she has some kind of infection.

I notice today her comb is starting to pale. Should I wait it out? Not sure what to do. Any advice appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may have a problem with internal laying, calcium deficiency, or other problems. An occasional soft egg can be normal in a new layer, or in old layers, but in hens with reproductive disorders, they can be more common. I have a 2 year old who was severely injured in a dog attack that lays soft or rubber eggs almost daily. Hens who have problems with their shell gland, who have suffered from viral infections, such as infectious bronchitis and many other causes sometimes will have this. Try giving her extra calcium in liquid form, calcium tablet, Tums, or in crushed egg shells. Keep crushed oyster shell available. Sometimes they still have them. The danger in soft eggs is that they can easily break inside causing infection in the oviduct, leading to egg yolk peritonitis. Sumi has a good article here on BYC called "common egg quality problems" that you can search for at the top of this page or Google it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by