RIR Light Brahma Gender Please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OneLuckeyWife, Mar 16, 2018.

1. OneLuckeyWife

OneLuckeyWife Songster

Jun 21, 2017
    Texas
    Here is Yeti. Hatched on Christmas Eve. She/he has a crook in her neck from tilting her head for to long but eats and drinks fine. Doesn’t seem to bother her besides walking in a circle so she can see everything.

I’m hoping hen but wing sex at hatching as rooster.

Attached Files:

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    It isn't a light Brahma, most likely a mix. Wing sexing only works for certain breeds bred for the purpose. So far I would say you have a pullet. Have you posted Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum about its neck? It might have wry neck.

DaviJones and chonsey like this.
  3. OneLuckeyWife

OneLuckeyWife Songster

Jun 21, 2017
    Texas
    It is a Rhode Island Red (RIR) and Light Brahma mix. I’ll have to check on wry neck.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You've got a red sexlink. Light Brahma hens can only pass their silver color to their male offspring. That's a pullet.

Chicken Girl1 likes this.
  5. OneLuckeyWife

OneLuckeyWife Songster

Jun 21, 2017
    Texas
    Yeti is a mix of Rhode Island Red and Light Brahma. Those are the only two breeds we have. Is their mix called a red sexlink? I’m not sure if Yeti’s parents are hen RIR and roo Brahma or hen Brahma and roo RIR.

chonsey likes this.
  6. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Red sexlink isn't a breed. It's what happens when you cross a silver hen with a red rooster. The offspring can be sexed accurately by coloring at hatch. Only the male offspring can inherit the mother's coloring. Female offspring will be red, like their father. If the rooster was a Brahma, all offspring would be silver, with the males developing some red leakage as they near maturity. Your chick is red, which means the mother must be a Brahma and the father must be a Brahma. It also means you most certainly have a little pullet.

7. OneLuckeyWife

OneLuckeyWife Songster

Jun 21, 2017
    Texas

So freaking cool! We had another red one and a golden looking one. Both died from a broody hen but Yeti was unharmed. The golden one was yellowish at birth but darker than the RIR when we got them. He stayed a nice golden color. I’m not sure if they were all from the same parents though as our flock lays in a tree.

If the dad was a Light Brahma and mother was RIR wouldn’t the offspring still be light boys and dark girls?

Chicken Girl1 and chonsey like this.
  8. junebuggena

junebuggena Crowing

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If dad was a Light Brahma, all offspring would be silver. It's a dominant gene, and purebred roosters have two copies, so all offspring inherits and expresses a copy. For the sexlinking to work, the silver must come from the hen's side of the equation.

Chicken Girl1 and OneLuckeyWife like this.
  9. OneLuckeyWife

OneLuckeyWife Songster

Jun 21, 2017
    Texas
    The one I was for sure was a cockerel was born a yellow color not like the other two but stayed a golden color and didn’t get dark like the other two. So same parent combination of LB mom and RIR dad.

So a LB roo and RIR hen offspring isn’t a sexlink?

10. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    Pullet

drumstick diva and OneLuckeyWife like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: