1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

RIR mix lethargic and looks blue?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jjdesmo11, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    32B8B4FC-7F09-4CCA-BA46-D65F3A26EB90.jpeg F6F1CD9A-39F4-4D6C-ADE7-475547AD3C1E.jpeg BF71B57E-B70A-4BA2-90D0-F023321E7447.jpeg 48A3C2E9-F968-4B69-9CF1-9BAEFB20314C.jpeg Help please I’m not sure what to do. I have a 3-5 yr old RIR mix that I noticed was sitting puffed on the run floor. She didn’t move when I tried to get her so I removed her and placed in dog cage.

She’s about 5-6 lbs looks good weight.
    Puffed lethargic, comb looks red and maybe a little blue? Eyes clear, vent clear, not egg bound( I’ll post a picture maybe mites?) crop soft, legs and nail beds looks slightly blue.
    Only chicken sick
    Haven’t seen poop, she has been free ranging during the day for years.
    No treatment but offered water she shed drank but won’t eat. I have a friend who said she knows a vet who treats chickens so that’s a possibility for tomorrow.
    New changes lately:
    -Added clean Koop (straw with PDZ to nesting boxes 2 days ago)
    -Offered eggshells yesterday that I cleaned and baked because I ran out of oyster shells and saw a soft shelled egg yesterday (I have new layers)
    -noticed lately the chickens have been drinking from AC run off instead of chicken cups Installed about 2 weeks ago.
    — I have 2 3 month old chicks in quarantine and they have been free ranging around them (bad idea I know)
    I think compared to her sister she looks blue- tinted but honestly don’t know if this is just her coloring. I recently had a chicken with coccidiosis who I quarantined for a month and also have him in the yard where they free range. I have off hand corid, safeguard, valbazen, nutri drench, fish zole

Attached Files:

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Crowing 7 Years

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I'm not seeing blue in the photos, but I am seeing limper comb.

When was the last time you wormed them or treated for external parasites?

The vent photo is showing what may be a cluster of nits.

Parasites can definitely cause lethargy and weakness. So can coccidiosis. Just because the one bird was treated, doesn't mean it still isn't giving off oocysts from the protozoa which could infect the soil. Typically treatment lightens the load but doesn't completely eradicate.

If you can, get a fecal done tomorrow at the vet's. That could tell a lot.

My thoughts.
    LofMc

3. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    893DCD3F-434F-440B-937D-F018CEBB1561.jpeg
    Thanks I hope i caught it early. I’m looking at vets now. I’ve never wormed them but just got valbazen and have safeguard that I gave orally to the chick that had coccidiosis. Should I attempt to worm via syringe tomorrow or in the water? Good idea with the fecal. She hasn’t pooped since I separated her. The blue might be her coloring. I just took a picture of her sister and she isn’t as blue I guess. Most of my other flock is Americanas so her and her sister look bigger than them so I didn’t think she looked under weight. I’m learning so much about chickens in the last 6 months. I’ve had them for 2+ years now all the sudden they are getting sick and had 3 disappear from predators in the last month. Not for the faint at hear t! Thanks again!

4. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Oh...and just caught drinking from the AC (air conditioner?) run off?

That could be bad if it contains some of the AC chemicals due to leakage or more likely bacteria build up from the pooling water.

But supposedly, most AC run off is pretty okay. But another thing to consider.
    LofMc

5. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I'm seeing pale comb is all, and a hen that is under the weather.

Good to get that fecal sample to the vet to check for parasites.

Keep us posted.

Good luck....and yes....chicken keeping is not for the faint of heart.
    LofMc

Jjdesmo11 likes this.
  6. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    10E4E88B-A7B3-4D40-AF32-D0796E7E3CF0.jpeg F8831DCF-0F66-4516-BAFB-32062A809642.jpeg This morning I think she vomited ( because it was near her head in a small cage. And laid a soft shelled egg. I have her valbazen on bread but she won’t eat. I can’t find vomit pictures very easily. Any ideas? I’m just going to google sour crop maybe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: