RIR mix? Or what do you all think? Thanks!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littlemissstang, Dec 14, 2012.

1. littlemissstang

littlemissstang Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    My husband got these girls from a guy who was selling off all his chickens. He just had them loose in his yard and buildings. When we picked them up, they were in an old pig shed up in the rafters. They stunk to high heaven! They were fine when we picked them up, but then they started getting clear runny noses. We treated them with antibotics and they seemed to get better. Now they are running again and sometimes they will sneeze. But, other than that, they seem fine and are laying pretty medium sized darker brown eggs. Just wondering what they are mixed with. Their chest feathers look a lot different than our other RIR's who are lighter in color. They have a blackish red looking feather with a goldish outline on their chests. Here are some pictures....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry that they are not better pictures. Thanks for any help I can get!

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

They look like great egg layers and I hope the sniffles clear up!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Partridge Rocks.

Nice ones too!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, partridge rocks. They look like they've had a rough time and may not be young hens from the leg color, but overall they're great birds.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I agree. Look to be a bit older, but should be a long-lived and produce for quite some time.

I love dark partridge. They are too light now-a-days.

6. littlemissstang

Sep 16, 2012
    Thank you all for the wonderful information! I hope the sniffles clear up too. I'm am so afraid that they have something terrible that I won't even eat their eggs! I have been feeding them to our great white pyrenees. He loves them and hasn't gotten sick. But, I have read so many horrible stories about respitory illnesses, that I'm afraid of them. They have both just started laying about two weeks ago. I'm surprised that you ladies have stated that they are older because of them just starting to lay. Is there anything special that I need to know about these types of birds? Or anything else that I can do for them? Thanks for all the help!

7. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Yep, Partridge Rocks.

Their leg color says that they've laid before. A young point of lay pullet would have bright yellow legs (assuming of course that she's a yellow-legged breed, like Partridge Rocks are).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  8. littlemissstang

Sep 16, 2012
    Oh, ok! Thank you, Cowgirl71. I still have a lot to learn and I am trying my best. But, there is just so much!!! lol! I want to do right by all my animals and I just hate the thought of me not doing something that they may need or want. Thank you all for the helpful answers and happy Farming!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by