1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR MOLTING

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bobbimarks, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Bobbimarks

Bobbimarks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2015
    Hi there,
    I think my 9 month old RIR's are molting. Is that normal this time of year? They seem to be losing a lot of neck and tail feathers. They have also stopped laying. With the weather getting colder, do I need to worry about their temperature regulation? Our other 5 chickens are looking pretty normal. Our Golden Comet and 2 leghorns are still laying very well. Our Aracaunas quit laying the same time as the RIR's. They are all fed laying crumble.
    Thank you for any advice.

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    it's normal this time of year, but yours are a little young for their first molt. do you have a rooster in the bunch?

it's also normal for some breeds to stop laying when the days get shorter.

3. Bobbimarks

Sep 27, 2015
    Nope, no rooster.

4. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    Ok, just thinking, they do have a tendency to cause feather loss on head/neck and tail area. have you checked them over for parasites?

5. Bobbimarks

Sep 27, 2015
    I have not. They are very tough ones to catch. Though, none of my other chickens seem to be losing any feathers. I would think mites and parasites would affect the whole flock, and not single out a breed. I will try to grab one tomorrow, when I let them out, and inspect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by