RIR new to laying constantly dropping 2 yolks???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by top of the hill, Oct 18, 2011.

1. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    I know that when a pullet is new to laying, she will have some mishaps. My RIR (Red) who is now 25 weeks - laying for about 3 weeks - has had several most recently early this morning when she lay 2 paper thin shells right off the roost. She has done this a few times before, and always shows the same signs prior to hopping on the roost. She's very still, won't really eat, fluffed up, like she's trying to pass something (the eggs - or a massive poop [​IMG]).

She has laid 2 double yolkers with beautifully hard shells, and several single yolk hard shells so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Is there anything I can do to help her get more regular, or is this just her body doing its thing and it should ( in theory) correct itself?

2. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    We just found a soft-shelled "splat" under our roost, but we suspect it is a new layer, because our other girls have been laying now for several weeks with no mishaps. I think it is normal, as they try to get things going, but I would also be curious to hear if there is any thing we can do to help.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:That.

4. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Fred's Hens :

Quote:That.

lol, ok! thats sort of what I thought, I just worry about my girl! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by