RIR not acting very hen like

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LutzFLdawg, Jul 31, 2013.

1. LutzFLdawg

LutzFLdawg Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2013
    Florida
    [​IMG]

Rosie (left) is one of ~30 week old birds, next to her sister Wilma, also a RIR. we bought the pair at ~13 weeks.

Rosie has been acting the boss of the coop, and has even mounted the other hens. Rosie has never cock-a-doodle-doo-ed, but can be very vocals at time. Size wise, Rosie is our biggest bird. Rosie's sister Wilma seems a little runty, but that's another problem.

I've been looking at pictures of other RIR hens, and I know the hens can get green tail feathers (Wilma has a few), but Rosie also has a few green feathers on her cowl, especially along her spine. The comb, jowls and ears just keep seeming to get bigger ever day.

So, cock or hen?

2. erinnoie

erinnoie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    Cudahy, WI
    I'm inexperienced, but I think roo. Has Rosie laid an egg??

3. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Definite cockerel.

Notice the length, curve, and tapering points of the top tail feathers, also the shiny-fringed back feathers with triangular normal feathering within the fringing, also the neck feather and rump feathers being fringed. Hens can get similar neck and rump feathers but not those triangular back ones, and not to that degree. Compare him to your hens for differences between the feathers, you'll soon be spotting it like a pro. ;)

Best wishes.

4. LutzFLdawg

Feb 23, 2013
    Florida
    no, but neither has the sister Wilma.

5. K Spot

K Spot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    SE Qld, Australia
    Rosie is a boy, through and through

6. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Oh I'm sorry to say rosie probably is being so tough because he had to grow up with a girls name. (ever hear "a boy named sue") Anyways notice how the comb is so much larger and how the tail feathers are longer and have a pretty green reflection? That and his feathers on his neck are pointed unlike his spoon-like sisters. indicate that is a roo. You could always change the name to Bosie?

7. and-roo

and-roo Chillin' With My Peeps

X2 and they dont look 30 weeks old, maybe not even 20. if they were 30 weeks you would have gotten an egg from wilma by now and a crow from rosie (might want to change his name)

good luck!

8. LutzFLdawg

Feb 23, 2013
    Florida
    well, I guess it's settled. Rosie gets to move to the country.

the RIRs where 12-13 weeks when we bought them in mid March, and that was 21 weeks ago. Rosie has blossomed into Robie, while Wilma has stayed runty and her head looks like it did when she was a pullet. she's by far the smallest bird, even smaller than the australorp that's younger than her. Our maran is laying and she's younger. I'm concerned about her lack of growth, but the other breed chickens are doing great.

9. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Quote: What you've said is true for many hens, but if you check the picture you will see the pullet also has pointy neck feathers and the Thread Starter mentioned she had greenish tail feathers too.

I have both types of hens, some with rounded neck feathers, some with slightly less fringed versions of typically male neck feathers; some hens have a lot of sheen to them, and the crest and wattles of the rooster are typical for a normal layer breed hen. The pullet beside him is runty, so not the best comparison.

Some hens keep typical juvenile feathering but there are plenty of normal hens, possibly even the majority, who develop neck feathers that are pointed quite like a rooster's. At least most hens I see are like that.

10. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    You're right I should have said usually.It's quite the opposite for me I don't come across many hens that have pointy hackles. In most of my posts I try to make it clear that there is no such thing as fact when dealing with chickens but sometimes I get ahead of myself on here and in person. (as you can see I recently joined so I'm still trying to remember that)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by