RIR not laying - when should I start worrying?

BillMinor68

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Austin
I've got an 8-month old that has been regular as clockwork. Up until now, Red had laid 4-5 eggs a week. Now, nothing for over a week. She seems healthy, no change in behavior or activity, she looks good. I don't think it's disease or a molt coming on, and while I'm not sure what to feel for, she doesn't seem eggbound. It is hot, hovering around 100 for the last two weeks, and I did change the chooks food from homemade to store-bought organic feed (Coyote Creek - local to Austin). Could it be one of those two things, the heat or maybe a change in protein levels? Also, she's my first to quit laying, so I'm not sure when I need to start worrying.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

thanks,

Bill

West TN has been having those same hot temps as Austin and our Buff Orpingtons have just about quit laying altogether! Our four hens usually give us three eggs a day, but here lately we've only gotten a couple this week. I believe it is the heat as nothing else has changed in our feeding program. Bruce

I blame heat! I know mine have slowed down, because of this abnormaly hot summer.
somad.gif

Worry's over and my 4 1/2 year old has proven she's smarter than I am. I spent the last several days combing the yard for secret laying spots; found nothing. Tonight, my daughter found a tiny (4-5 inch) crack that Red's been using to crawl under the coop. She (Red, not my daughter) dug herself a little nest and laid 7 eggs. I guess she's not bothered by the heat after all. . .
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom