RIR Not Laying

GRB73

Songster
5 Years
Mar 10, 2016
SE Pennsylvania
I have three hens. They are just about 2 years old. Two of the three started laying again in February (Wyandotte and ameracauna). My RIR still hasn't started up again. Do some breeds need more hours of natural light to resume egg laying? She has always been my champion layer.

azygous

Enabler
11 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
It's an individual thing, governed by genetics as much as it is external forces. My egg crew is slowly, one by one, coming back to lay, but I'm still waiting for several more to get their hormones back.

Watch for your hen's comb to get more deeply red, plumping up, getting a bit larger, and then you'll know she's getting ready to start pumping out eggs again soon.

If her comb remains washed out pink and shriveled, then you may suspect she has something going on that you need to be concerned about.

GRB73

Songster
5 Years
Mar 10, 2016
SE Pennsylvania
I have three hens. They are just about 2 years old. Two of the three started laying again in February (Wyandotte and ameracauna). My RIR still hasn't started up again. Do some breeds need more hours of natural light to resume egg laying? She has always been my champion layer.

It's now May and still no regular eggs:-(. We've gotten about one a week for the past two weeks. They are odd looking, large and long. Her comb is bright red and plump and she eats, drinks and dust bathes. We've treated her for northern fowl mites and finished the last round a week ago.

My concern is she is an internal layer. How would I know if this is the case?

Top Bottom