RIR Or Australorp

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by josh, Feb 8, 2009.

1. josh

josh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    I was woundering which of these would be the best for eggs. I want the best brown egg layer I can get.

2. chickensforever

chickensforever Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I've heard that RIRs are the most prolific brown egg layers, so if you're going for volume they'd probably be your best bet. They can be a little aggressive and flighty (but definitely not always, especially if you hand raise them), but Australorps are mostly calmer and friendlier.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I've got a RIR who's not a friendly bfrd, but a very consistent layer. Next month I'm getting an Australorp chick, though it'll be a while until we get eggs from her.

Have you considered a Black Sex-link? Great personality, consistent eggs, blakc plumage with a RIR head - fantastic birds!

4. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I have some RIRs and they are great! They lay well, (even through the winter) aren't flighty, and let us handle them all the time.
    From my experience, it totally depends on how you handle them, not what breed to determine their behavior.

5. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I have been very satisfied with our Black Australorps. Calm and friendly, they are good layers and have been cold hardy through their first really cold winter. Another plus for me has been that they are not flighty around any of the dogs which aids in stopping the prey drive my dogs might decide to exhibit should a bird start flying around flapping its wings etc. I also like that I can bring kids out to see them and feed them, pet them, etc. and the chickens all respond really nicely. They lay a nice sized light tan to dark brown egg, even during winter they do not seem to completely stop laying. I am getting 2-4 eggs daily from 5 hens. So, it is certainly a breed I would recommend trying. What about getting a couple of each?!

6. Driftwood Coop

Driftwood Coop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Amesbury, Mass
    We have 2 RIR and they are very friendly. We handfeed them every day. I think handfeeding, then handling, is the key to getting just about any kind of bird to be comfortable around people. We've trained our girls to come when we call them by rewarding them with food. That's very is handy when the escape from the yard (nearly an everyday occurrence).
    I don't know about 'Lorps, but RIRs lay just about every day, and they lay very large eggs. We get a lot of double-yolkers.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  7. CA Bean

CA Bean Chillin' With My Peeps

I have both..umm I guess it depends on what you want to look at? I know RIR lay large big eggs and a huge producer of eggs per yr. I just remember seeing a high ratio of eggs per yr was a lot. But if you don't need them to be above average egg layers then?
    Mine seem to be similar in personality. I have 3 RIR and 2 BA. 1 RIR is very nice the other is two are mild or tad shy. 1 BA is higher up on the pecking order, a little bossy and not afraid/friendly she is first in line for treats, the other is a tad shy and mild.

8. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have 3 RIR hens and 2 cockerels. MY oldest hen is a Hatchery and one of my original birds, she lays well is very sweet.
    The other 2 Hens lay well but are a bit more aloof.
    The roosters are getting better, the more I handle them.

I have 3 Australops, but they are only a week old so I have no good or bad on them, except they are really cute!

9. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have had both breeds and both are prolific layers. I must say however that the Ausies have MUCH better dispositions as a general rule. Not always, but most of the time. [​IMG]

10. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    You said you wanted a good layer. Between those two it is RIR. They'll eat less too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by